Saturday, November 10, 2007

Better left undone....

Last week there was a guy riding on the subway in NYC that spotted the girl of his dreams, but didn't have the courage to approach her. Afterwards, he regretted it so much that he created a web site and posted an ad on craigslist to find her. Well, found her he did, and they are well on their way to a blissful future together. True story. Google it if you don't believe me.
Sounds like a sappy chick flick doesn't it? Something you'd watch after a break-up to convince yourself that there really is someone perfect for you out there. I think it's a great, successful love story. I mean, who isn't at least secretly looking to be swept up?
With that said, I have to admit that I think some things are better left undone. Some things just aren't supposed to be. Sometimes the best stories are the simple and uncomplicated occurances in life. Two examples come to mind..
1. One evening last summer, I stepped onto the train in NYC at 124th street, and noticed an attractive, frenchman across the aisle. We played the eye game for a couple of stops, until he stood up, walked over, and sat by me. For twenty minutes we conversed on the crowded train. He had very broken english, and I speak zero french. Communication was confusing at best. The only thing we both understood was that there was a mutual attraction. When we got to 42nd street, we simply went our separate ways. He was on his way to a wedding, and I was going to meet a guy for dinner that was much less intriguing than this french mystery. That was it. Two strangers forging a short-lived connection. I wouldn't have wanted it to end any other way.
2. Last March, I was dragged to a Sunday night dessert party in Provo by a friend. I didn't feel like being social since I was exhausted from a sleepless weekend. I stood there wrapped in my own thoughts, when suddenly a guy I'd never seen before was standing in front of me. He blurted, "I saw you from across the room.... and I want to kiss you." Only a tool would say something like that so I gave him a smirk and said, "Ha. You wouldn't dare." Before I knew it, he grabbed me, and was kissing me on the mouth, tasting my cinnamon lip gloss. Who does that? I pulled away, utterly surprised. I wanted to slap him for having the audacity to think that he could just kiss me, but another part of me thought that his confidence was almost commendable. If more people were that confident, there would be more relationships, and more happy people in this world. So I simply said, "Wow... you don't even know my name." Then I walked away.

*Disclaimer: The real end to this story is that somehow the sweet bro found out where I lived, and for the next week I had to hide everytime the doorbell rang. I refused to speak to him again, because I was kissed by a stranger, and I wanted to keep it that way. It makes for a much better story, don't you think?

Like I said before... some things are just better left undone.

2 comments:

Sarah Patricia Myers said...

Some things are better left undone.

Preamble: I have to admit, I am kind of addicted to black and my wardrobe reflects such.

Living in DC, I rode the Metro between Foggy Bottom and Federal Triangle everyday. On the Metro I was unsually absorbed in the newspaper and my i pod, and oblivious to people around me. One day at work, a friend forwarded me a posting he had found on Criag's list. "Girl on the Metro you arrive at Foggy Bottom everyday around 8:30 in your black mystique. I want to meet you."

Who knows if the add was intended for me, but how many other people on the Foggy Bottom metro at 8:30 wear black everyday. I debated whether or not to reply to the hottjake@yahoo.com (or something like that) email address, but decided somethings are just better left undone.

Rachel Ricchio said...

did he honestly do that?! omg. that is so funny! you never told me that story. i want a name when i see you next. hahaha.