Thursday, November 15, 2007

High School: Breeding grounds for Insecurities

This week my little sister was voted "Best Accessorizer" of the Senior Class at Viewmont High School. Other awards handed out were "Best eyes", "Best shoes", "Best style" and so on. She told me and I started laughing out loud. Not that my sister isn't a fantastic accessorizer, I just think the whole scenario is completely ridiculous.
Here are the reasons why I am morally opposed to such a contest:
1. Don't you think it's a little bit outrageous to pick one person out of 700 people and proclaim them as the 'best' at anything? Entirely impossible.
2. Suicide rates among young people are on the rise. Thank you Viewmont High School for contributing to the epidemic of teenagers that hate themselves in America.
3. My sister wears MY accessories EVERY SINGLE DAY. If they were going to give anyone an award, it should have been me.

Disclaimer: My sister wants it known that she did not campaign for this award. On the contrary, she was completely horrified.

2 comments:

Erika said...

Ha, ha, ha. I agree with you! Justin was awarded "Best attitude" in high school...funny huh! Tell Stace I'm proud of her for her fabulous triumph! And Andrea I will give you an award for owning all the accessories!

Natalie | Make Today Great said...

Seems like they've expanded the awards since our day - best accessorizer?? Seriously...

This is Natalie by the way, our link is wardelfamily.blogspot.com