Sunday, July 17, 2011

4th of July Weekend

In my mind, nothing beats the 4th of July.  It's pretty much my favorite holiday (second to Thanksgiving only).  We spent the past two fourth of July's in Idaho Falls (they have an incredible firework show by the way), and so this year we decided to stay home to celebrate on our home turf.  I hadn't been home for the 4th since before my mission (four summers ago!), and so I was so stoked to celebrate Utah style.  I had been talking up all of the festivities to Mike for weeks.

Our weekend began Saturday morning with the annual Centerville 4th of July Parade.  I realized pretty quickly that the Centerville 4th of July parade is pretty lame, but hey, it's tradition and our claim to fame throughout the year! 











It was 95 degrees and blazing hot, and so we were thrilled to go check Raging Waters off of our Summer to-do list! Talk about ghetto, old, and rickety!  We were there for about six hours and loved every second of it! 



The next day, Mike and I had a little BBQ on our grill, then we went and watched an outdoor movie and ate 4th of July fruit tart!


On the actual 4th of July, I ran my first race in about ten years!  Don't get too excited- it was just a 5k, but a fun one at that!  Mike and I convinced the rest of my family to participate too.  The race was in our neighborhood- and it was beautiful.  It started at Popperton park, and went through the avenues on 11th, through City Creek Canyon and ended at the Salt Lake Capitol.  What a great way to celebrate our glorious country!


I was very happy with the race- it was mostly downhill, the weather wasn't scorching yet, and I beat my goal time by 4.5 minutes!  Everyone ran it in under 30 minutes- which was awesome!




Mike did amazing!  He practically flew to the finish line!  I took 4th place in my family (hence me wishing 4th place made the podium), which I was really happy with!

We enjoyed the rest of our holiday lounging around, saw 'Midnight in Paris', had a big BBQ, and went to Oakridge with my extended Hymas family for fireworks!  It was a perfect weekend. 





 Mike has learned that dressing for holiday's is fun!


Happy Birthday America!
We love you!

1 comment:

B said...

How did you like the movie? I haven't decided if I want to see it yet.