Sunday, August 28, 2011

Newport Rhode Island & other Boston Adventures

Boston Trip Continued...

Day 3:
Saturday morning we woke up to Brooke and Derek's delicious blueberry pancakes, then headed to Newport, Rhode Island!  Can I just say, I would love to someday own a summer house next to the Vanderbilt's.  We toured the Breakers, and Marble House, two AMAZING mansions that the Vanderbilt family built in the early 1900's that are out of this world. 


Afterwards, we walked along the 'Cliff Walk', which was rated one of the top 3 most scenic walks in the world- that it was indeed!  We went to the harbor and looked at all the fancy boats, ate dinner on main street and walked in and out of the shops strewn about.  Such a fun, classy little town!  Must go back. 




Day 4:
After three days of perfect weather, we woke up to rain.  We went to church with Brooke and Derek, and by the time we came home and ate some lunch, it was beautiful again!  Blessings for church attendance!  Derek is a HUGE reader, and knows a lot about Boston history, so we set out for our own private tour of Concord!  We stopped at Ralph Waldo Emerson's house, Lousia May Alcott's, the battle at Bunker hill site, and Walden Pond.  

I LOVED Walden pond.  It was one of the prettiest places I've ever been.  I was surprised because it was 1. Huge  2.  People were swimming in it (if it wouldn't have been Sunday I would have so been there!) and 3. It was by no means remote at all (I swear the history teachers make up the part about it being secluded and completely away from humanity).


Afterwards we drove to see the Boston Temple, and the Auburn Cemetery for a spectacular view of the city.  Later Derek and Mike made dinner for us- it was incredible (still want that recipe Brooke).


Day 5:
Monday morning Mike and I set out to Cambridge to go on a tour of Harvard!  It's such a beautiful campus, and I felt really smart just walking around the grounds! Ha!  We grabbed a quick lunch, then headed to Back Bay to meet up with Casey and Aubrey (Mike's brother and his wife).  They were in town from Philadelphia for a CRNA conference.  We were so excited to get to hang out with them! Mike went with Casey for a few hours to the conference while Aubrey and I took a little girl time to go shopping! 


That evening we went to the harbor and ate the best Boston clam chowder, crab cakes, and Lobster right on the wharf!  It was so delicious and fun to be with family!


Day 7:
Our last morning in Boston, we went and had a mean breakfast at the Paramount, walked around Beacon hill and the Boston Public Gardens, and did some last minute shopping on the famous Newbury Street.  We love this city!


We had a great trip, but a horrible time getting home!  After 16 hours of traveling, two delayed flights, and throwing up airport pizza all night, we were both anxious to get home to our own bed!

Thanks Brooke and Derek for being such amazing hosts!  You're the BEST.  Love you!



8 comments:

Jessica Adams said...

I am SO jealous! I absolutely love Boston.

Danny and Shalayne said...

oh that looks fun!! And you got to see Brooke and Derek! Boston is one of the best cities I think - and I LOVE the Breakers too. We went there a few years ago and I was awestruck.

B said...

OMG. I had no idea you threw up and it took so long to get home. I'm so sorry. I think traveling across country is the worst but at least it was not on one of the Vanderbilt's trains. Thank you for coming. I wish you two lived here!

About me said...

Ive always wanted to go to those places! Jealous! Miss you!

Bryana said...

You guys look like youre having a fun summer! And I am loing your hair color Miss Andrea:)

Kari said...

what an awesome trip!! i love it!! looks like you guys had so much fun.

Rachel Ricchio said...

is mike's brother a crna? does he like it?? they make bankkkk.

Amanda said...

adorable. i'll be in newport next month so it was fun to see your photos and hear what you liked about it!

brooke. i miss you.