Thursday, August 25, 2011

Boston.

Mike and I love to travel together.  One of our favorite things to do is create lists of places in the world we want to visit, and make plans for our future adventures!  A few months ago, we decided to go to Boston this summer!  Mike had never been there, and I hadn't been in 10 years, so we figured it was time for us to pay the city a visit.  Also, the fact that my BFF Brooke and her husband Derek live there made it a no brainer (they also generously invited us to stay with them)!  We were so excited, and after lots of planning, we set out on our trip a couple weeks ago!

We took a red eye from SLC to New York, then flew from New York to Boston.  On our first flight, we had a devil baby the row ahead of us that screamed the entire way there (the kid's parents were the only two people on the plane that didn't seem to mind their baby was terrorizing the place).  Mike and I both decided that maybe we need to enjoy this phase of life (no crying babies yet) a little more.

The next morning, Brooke picked us up to the airport, and we headed to Manchester, a cute beach town about 45 minutes away from Boston.  Can I just say how much I love east coast beaches?  They have such a different vibe than west coast beaches, and I must say I am such a fan.  They are just so charming.  We enjoyed the afternoon catching up on the beach, getting sunburned, and playing in the ocean.  I was freaked out because I had just watched shark week the night before we left, and so I was a little paranoid of sharks!  Luckily we didn't get eaten by sharks, but Mike did get attacked by a seagull.  It was the craziest thing I've ever seen....we were sitting on the beach and Mike was getting ready to take a bite of his sandwich, when this seagull hit him in the head and grabbed his sandwich from him and flew away with it.  FREAKY!!  It looked like it could have been a scene straight from the Birds! 



That night, Mike and I went to Fenway!  It was such an amazing stadium, and we loved all of the die hard baseball fans!  We got to see the Red Sox play the Indians (another team close to our hearts).  We had a great time eating ballpark food and enjoying the ambiance of Fenway!  Sadly, the Red Sox lost, but we still loved it!

DAY 2:
The next day, we met up with Elizabeth and Liam Jewell.  We actually met on our honeymoon!  We were dinner mates on the cruise we went on, and we've been friends ever since!  They live in New Hampshire, and we were so thrilled that they were willing to take the day off and ride the train down to Boston to hang out with us!

We started the morning by walking the freedom trail (so interesting!), went on a duck tour (the bus took us around the city, and then the bus transforms into a boat and we sailed the Charles River), ate delicious Italian lunch in the South End, stood in line to get the famous canoli from Mike's pastries, and explored the city.  We had so much fun! 


Later that evening, Mike and I did some shopping, got pizza, and went to Shakespeare in the Park in the Boston Commons.  It was such a fun, busy, action packed day!  By the time we navigated our way back to Brooke and Derek's apartment our feet were so, so tired and we were pooped! (Now that means you are vacationing right!)

Thanks for meeting up with us Elizabeth and Liam! We loved seeing you guys- can't wait for you to visit us in Utah!

8 comments:

Erika said...

So much to say!!!

1)I don't know WHY you wouldn't choose to visit me in Des Moines?! :)
2) I sympathize for the devil child's parents. My kids have never screamed, but I'm ALWAYS worried they will. They can be unpredictable and you do your best! (Maybe those parents weren't...)
3)Since when are you a Boston fan? I thought you were die hard Yankees!
4) Looks like such a fun trip. I'd love to visit Boston. Glad you guys had a good time. You look adorable.

Mike & Andrea said...

Erika,
1. I DO need to come to Des Moines!
2. I TOTALLY sympathize for desperate parents with crying children on planes- that's the worst and I feel so bad for them normally! These parents were these bizarre hippies who were almost encouraging the kid to keep screaming. It was the weirdest parenting I've EVER seen!
3. I like all teams! I love the yankees because I lived in NY, but my fam are HUGE boston fans... so I feel like I'm a mutt!
4. you NEED to visit Boston. Such a fun city- you'd love it.
LOVE YOU!!

Becca said...

i love boston. and we totally do need to start an avenues book club. what are you reading right now? i'm reading this one: http://www.amazon.com/Inheritance-Loss-Novel-Booker-Prize/dp/0871139294

Rachel Ricchio said...

okay you look smokin' hot in your one shouldered suit. wish that style could hold up my rack :( ps. you're totally living the life! amazing!

Titensor Family said...

Dittoing the comment about your suit!! I love it. Where did you get it?? I love this post, it looks like boston was so fun and so awesome you got see hang out with brooke! Hope you are doing good. We went to Rocky Mountain moto cross races last night and I was thinking on the way up...hmm they might be there!! I will text you next time we go just in case you guys are busy we could go together.

Unknown said...

i love boston! so glad you had a good time... i'm a friend of your cute sister, stacie, and am happy to have stumbled upon your blog!


anna
www.embracethesunshine.blogspot.com

B said...

So. much. fun. You and Mike are natural east coasters.

Mike & Andrea said...

Rachel and Mir,
I got the suit at Perry Ellis- I think it would make anyone's body look fab- it really is that great! Love you both!