Saturday, April 23, 2011

My husband is freaking cool

One of the things that I love about Mike is that he is never afraid to try new things, and is always acquiring new hobbies.  One night last fall I suggested that we go on a run together outside.  Mike played sports all growing up and is super athletic, and so I was shocked to learn that that night was honestly the first time he'd ever been running!  That first night we didn't get too far because neither of us were in the best of shape, but six months later, I can still barely run 3 miles, and Mike ran the Salt Lake City half marathon last weekend!


 Standing at the finish line was the coolest experience.  My mom and I were crying watching all of the different types/sizes/shapes of people cross the finish line.  It was so inspiring.


Watching Mike approach the finish line!  He was just a few minutes away from his goal time, so he was pretty happy (especially this being his first race ever).  I'm so proud of him!


Look how great he looks after running 13 miles!


 I made a couple of cheesy posters that my brothers held up as he was finishing the race.. and yes, I made him pose by them. 




 Mike's parents drove down from Idaho to see the race, and our little nephew Clate came too.


My parents and little brothers came as well to cheer him on.


When it started raining, my mom and I were both glad we were prepared with umbrellas.


I've decided I'm going to go hang out at the finish line of this race every year.  It ends at the Gateway, and it was an incredible venue, and inspired me to accomplish my goals, even if they seem hard.  I'm so proud of Mike!  The crazy part is, one week later, he's already signed up to run a Marathon this fall.  Crazy husband I have- I'll be at the finish line again crying like a baby.

4 comments:

B said...

I love the highlights in your hair. Seriously worth it. You look to good to have been standing out in the rain.I am shocked Mike looks that good after a half marathon. Remember you took me running for the first time? I nowhere near 13 miles though... or even going again.

Camille said...

High Five Mike!!!! I volunteered once at that marathon and I handed out water at the finish line. It was so incredible. I lost my voice from cheering for everyone. That's about as close as I will get to a marathon.

aubrey said...

Glad to see he's caught the bug!!

Mandi said...

Congratulations Mike! Andrea, should sign up for the full with him, its way better when you are the one crossing the finish line. Plus.. there is no better motivation than the fear you might die during an actual race :) Just saying..