Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Time Capsule

I've always thought that Time Capsules were stupid, unless you left them unopened for 50 or so years. Last night my family opened a Time Capsule that we assembled in 1999. 8 years ago. Surprisingly, it was quite enjoyable, and it gave me a good laugh to look back. Maybe I'll change my opinion of time capsules.

Here were the highlights of my life as a 14 year old:

1. Andrea got her braces off. I've already told stories about this miserable experience. Good to put an end to that period of my life.
2. Andrea got her ears double pierced. These were the days when having five piercings up your ear was super sexy. I had been begging my parents to let me get more piercings, because one set was so not cool anymore. They finally agreed that I could get second holes in both ears. However, before doing so, they made me sign a contract promising I wouldn't get more piercings in my ears, get my belly button pierced, or get a tattoo. I guess they were that worried I would do something foolish.....what good parents I have. Sidenote: I let the second holes grow in a year or two later. gross.
3. Andrea went on Pioneer trek this past summer. This is where I encountered the most awkward and humiliating experience of my life to date. An older boy totally walked in on me while I was in a porta potty, completely naked from the waist down. I screamed and shrieked in complete horror, until he finally ran away. All throughout the rest of pioneer trek he gave me the nasty eye. If that wasn't bad enough, it got much worse when his whole football team had heard the story a week later. Who brags about something like that? Sick. I still think about that one.
4. Andrea started 9th grade, and she is busy as a Student Body Officer, and singing in Madrigals. The most amazing part about this, is that I truly thought my life was chaotic. Little did I realize that walking around the halls of CJH talking about boys, coloring posters for basketball games, and stealing candy from our advisor in officer prep period hardly qualified as busy.
5. Andrea hates her math teacher, Mr. Smith Still do. (I don't dare post his real name on the internet. I think secretly I'm still afraid of him.) He was a real nut job. My friends and I always talked about egging his house, but none of us ever had the guts to follow through.
6. Andrea is President of her Mia Maid Class. Enough said.
7. Andrea went to St. George with her best friend Jessica over fall break. .. We thought we were so cool because we met and hung out with older, hot boys. Hello they were in High School! This was kind of a big deal.
8. Andrea really loves music. Some things never change. I was especially into the Dixie Chicks at this time, because included in the time capsule was a concert ticket from their fly tour.

So there you have it, Andrea 8 years ago. It makes me wonder where I'll be 8 years from now.... I honestly can't even venture a guess.

4 comments:

jessaveda said...

I'm glad i could live almost all of those memories with you. 2nd hole piercings, Mr. "Smith," Dr. B, the Chicks, St. George (and yes, meeting high school boys as a 9th grader is a big deal), being popular at cjh, trek. oh man. This makes me realize just how deep our friendship goes.

Anonymous said...

I really love this post because it was just so reminiscent of my life as a 14-year-old. Seriously...i might have laughed out loud. Why did we think we were sooo cool back then? We had no right. I liked all things surf and roxy, I still had my braces on, and I still had "baby" fat!? Something is not right with indivduals at this age...

becca said...

hey! i found your blog.

Jen said...

Hey I found your blog too! I am so excited for you! This is the big week! Live it up girl! You rock. We will be praying for ya!